Sustainability and Interlocking Concrete Pavements
“Permeable pavement is a very important part of the low impact toolbox. It makes surfaces and sidewalks permeable so we can then infiltrate the runoff.”
Neil Weinstein, P.E., R.L.A., AICP, MASCE
Low Impact Development Center, Inc.
ECOLOGICAL SOLUTIONS WITH CONCRETE PAVERS
- Superior physical properties of pavers provide longer pavement life, reduced maintenance costs and extend the replacement cycle while conserving the use of raw materials.
- Concrete pavers improve the quality of life for an environment and its users.
- Concrete pavers provide sustainable ecological solutions proven to last.
- PICP eliminates stormwater runoff and conserves land, while serving as a durable wearing course.
- ICP and PICP are LEED and LID friendly. Both may use local materials, labor and recycled content that reduce energy requirements and carbon footprint.
- ICPs and PICPs provide a low maintenance solution. If you are looking for a system that will lower maintenance requirements and use less energy over its life, ICPs and PICPs are the answer.
- PICPs provide a method to effectively store and treat stormwater runoff. The structure of a permeable pavement system provides a base and subbase to store runoff. They effectively trap suspended solids, process nutrients and oils and can immobilize heavy metals.
- Elimination of surface failure issues. Concrete pavers are factory made thereby eliminating raveling that can occur on site-formed pavements.
Design professionals are turning to permeable interlocking concrete pavements because they offer environmentally sustainable solutions that meet low impact development goals. View each of the items below to learn more about why permeable interlocking concrete pavements are the most environmentally friendly pavement choice.
- Stormwater Runoff Solution: Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement Video
- Pavements Built for the Future – Durable, Sustainable, Attractive (Project Examples)
- Morton Arboretum Case Study
- Project Profiles—Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavements
- Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement Fact Sheet
- Sustainability Fact Sheet
- Permeable Pavement Comparison Brochure
- Model Stormwater Ordinance for Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavements
- Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavements—Design, Specification, Construction, Maintenance (4th Edition)
- PICP Construction and Maintenance Checklist
- Tech Spec 8–Concrete Grid Pavements
- Tech Spec 16–Achieving LEED® Credits with Segmental Concrete Pavements
- Detail Drawings & Guide Specifications
- Fundamentals of Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement On-Demand Webinar
- Permeable Design Pro Software