David Hein, B.A.Sc, Civil Engineering, P.E./P.Eng.
Principal Engineer, Vice-President, Transportation
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
5401 Eglinton Avenue West, Suite 105
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9C 5K6
Tel: 416.621.9555 x221
Travels From: Lester B. Pearson International Airport, Toronto, ON
- Permeable Pavers and LEED V4
- Guide Specifications for Interlocking Concrete Pavement Systems
- Interlocking Concrete Pavement Performance for Roads and Streets Applications
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis of Interlocking Concrete Pavement Systems
- Traffic Engineering and Design Using Concrete Pavers
- Structural Design of Interlocking Concrete Pavement Systems
- Permeable Design Pro Software Training
- Urban Design with Interlocking Concrete Pavement Systems
- Low Impact Development with Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement
- Permeable Pavers as a Best Management Practice
- Commercial Design Considerations with Concrete Pavers
- Sustainable Solutions with Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement
- Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement as a Stormwater Management
- Green Infrastructure with Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement
- Traffic Calming with Concrete Pavers
- ADA Design Guidelines for Segmental Concrete Pavements
- Municipal Design Considerations with Concrete Pavers
- Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement Design, Construction and Maintenance
- Maintenance and Management of Interlocking Concrete Pavement Systems
- Segmental Pavement Systems Emerging Design and Technology Trends
- Cold Climate Performance of Concrete Pavers
- Repair and Utility Cuts Using Concrete Pavers
- Mechanical Installation of Interlocking Concrete Pavement Systems
- Port, Airport and Industrial Design Applications using Concrete Pavers
- MAP 21 and Permeable Pavers
- ICP and PICP construction/installation/sales
- Design of hardscape projects
- Use of geosynthetics in paver systems
- Paver maintenance
- PICP installation
- In-person training/seminars
David Hein is a Principal Engineer and Vice-President of Transportation of Applied Research Associates, Inc in Toronto, Canada. Mr. Hein has extensive experience with the design, evaluation and management of pavements ranging from low volume roadways to major highways and airports. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers Codes and Standards (ASCE) Committee and chair of the ASCE committee that developed a standard for the design of interlocking concrete pavements (ICPs) for municipal roadways. He is also the chair of the ASCE committee that is developing a standard for permeable interlocking concrete pavements.
Over his 30 year career, Mr. Hein has developed design, pavement management and life-cycle cost analysis comparison methods for ICP pavements. He was a major contributor to ASTM E2840-11 which establishes a standard practice for pavement condition index surveys for interlocking concrete roads and parking lots. He has been extensively involved in permeable pavement systems including the development of the Permeable Design Pro software application for the structural and hydrological design of permeable interlocking concrete pavements.
Mr. Hein is a regular technical lecturer having led training courses for over 10,000 participants, has completed numerous webinars face-to-face training sessions and more than 100 presentations at technical meetings and conferences. He has published over 50 technical papers on pavement engineering and asset management related topics.