Suggested Questions for Contractors
ICPI recommends getting written proposals from at least three contractors. Be sure the contractor visits your home before providing the proposal. Please note that the lowest bid might not always be the best option. To ensure a quality installation, be sure to ask the following questions:
- How long have they been installing pavers?
- Have they been trained by a manufacturer or the ICPI? Are they ICPI Certified Installers?
- What percentage of their total business consists of installing concrete pavers?
- Will they provide you with three references? Be sure to ask for references from recent and past jobs. Can you contact their references and inspect the jobs?
- Do they have a portfolio of photos and letters to qualify themselves?
While the contractor is working on your property, they should be insured for any damage and injuries that may occur. Check your homeowner's insurance policy for coverage of the contractor while on your property.
- Can the contractor provide proof that Worker's Compensation insurance covers all employees on the job?
- Do they have current Liability Insurance? Ask for a copy of the certificate.
- Will they install the job per ICPI specifications? Can they supply a copy?
- Do they provide a written, itemized proposal outlining the scope of work and terms of payment? It should include starting and completion dates, demolition and excavation, paving and base materials, and taxes.
- Do they guarantee their work for one year and will they return to inspect it?
- Are they members of the ICPI or other associations?
Be sure your proposal includes all materials and specifies these installation guidelines.